Resolution on the results of the International Workshop on UNESCO Global Geoparks, November 25-29, 2019
Resolution on the results of the International Workshop on
UNESCO Global Geoparks
November 25-29, 2019
Yangan-Tau village, Salavat district, Republic of Bashkortostan
November 28, 2019
We, participants of the International Workshop on UNESCO Global Geoparks,
while expressing gratitude to the Government of the Republic of Bashkortostan, the Commission of the Russian Federation for UNESCO, the Committee of the Republic of Bashkortostan for UNESCO, Yangan-Tau Geopark and Wellness for the preparation and organization of the workshop;
while welcoming the participation of scientists and experts in the field of conservation of natural, cultural, and historical heritage; state, political, and public figures of the Russian Federation and foreign countries;
while recognizing the importance and usefulness of the workshop not only for scientists and experts, but also for local residents of geoparks, and the need to join efforts to establish a Global Geopark;
while noting the unique experience of Yangan-Tau Geopark on creating and developing the first Global Geopark in Russia and the CIS;
while emphasizing that the Geopark is a territory of non-industrial sustainable development and that geoparks create a trend of Russian regions towards sustainable economic development;
while having considered and discussed the development of special natural areas: geoparks,
1. We emphasize the need to present the aspiring geoparks of Russia at the 9th International Conference of UNESCO Global Geoparks in the Republic of Korea (September 17-20, 2020, Jeju Island Global Geopark),
2. We consider it important that this seminar should be held annually not only in the territory of Yangan-Tau Geopark of the Republic of Bashkortostan, but also in other regions of Russia and the world,
3. We note the need to publish information about the workshop in the European Geoparks Network and GGN Newsletter,
4. We consider it necessary to prepare an article describing the concept of UNESCO Global Geoparks and the experience of creating Yangan-Tau Geopark for publication in the yearbook Izvestia VSEGEI,
5. We recommend that the regions of the Russian Federation coordinate the creation and development of geoparks with the all-Russian public organization "Russian Geographical Society,"
6. We request the Ministry of Natural Resources and Ecology of the Russian Federation to consider including the subprogram "Geoparks" in the national project "Ecology,"
7. We suggest that the Russian Committee for the International Program on Geoparks and Geosciences and the VSEGEI Federal State University consider coordinating the creation of an atlas-guide to geoparks in Russia and nearby countries taking into account the experience of creating the atlas "Unique Geological Monuments of Russia,"
8. We estimate highly the experience of Yangan-Tau Geopark and recommend the Yangan-Tau Geopark model for implementation in other regions of the Russian Federation and the world.